CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR SUPPORT TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF MULTI-STAKEHOLDER PARTNERSHIPS THAT PROMOTE DEMAND-DRIVEN AGRICULTURAL INNOVATION AND RESEARCH
PAEPARD Invites Innovative Partnerships To Apply For Support
The Platform for African-European Partnership on Agricultural Research for Development (PAEPARD) supports the establishment of innovative partnerships of African and European stakeholders that engage in agricultural innovation and collaborative research to address shared challenges and opportunities of the partners involved.
PAEPARD sees agricultural innovation as a process that requires the collective effort of different actors with different roles:
1. Actors whose demands drive the innovation process and who thus have a direct stake in the results (e.g. producers, processors, traders, retailers)
2. Actors whose support is needed to make the innovation work (e.g. technical, financial and business support services, policy makers, schools, training centres, universities), including research actors with the knowledge and competencies needed to help the other actors develop new answers to their joint challenge and take informed decisions.
3. Brokers or innovation-facilitators who bring actors together around a shared challenge or opportunity, facilitate the interactions, negotiations and knowledge sharing between the actors, help level the playing field and strengthen actors’ capacities.
A successful innovation process thus requires much more than research. And, for research to contribute to agricultural innovation, it has to be integrated with the innovation process. The researchers and other actors need to continuously share knowledge, learn together and mutually readjust their actions to ensure that results are relevant.
The partnerships that PAEPARD supports aim to conduct joint innovation processes that address shared challenges or opportunities. More specifically, within the context of their innovation process, these partnerships wish to formulate and seek funding for joint agricultural research for development (ARD) activities that support their innovation process. While these research activities will be led by a research partner, the leadership of an innovation process goes beyond the mandate and competence of a research organisation and thus requires that another actor assumes this role.
Aspiring partnerships are invited to apply for support to establish their partnership and formulate collaborative ARD proposals targeted at identified funding opportunities.
Depending on needs, the successful applicants will benefit from the following support from PAEPARD:
1. Support for participation in a facilitated “partnership inception workshop”.
- Support for capacity strengthening, including training of an innovation-facilitator proposed by the partnership.
- Support to facilitation and coordination of partnerships.
Applications should be received at the address indicated in the application form no later than 28 January 2011. Applicants will be informed of the result of their application on 18 February 2011.
Inception workshops will be planned in consultation with the successful partnerships and are expected to take place between March and June 2011.